Saturday, June 21, 2008

Adventures, Mikes and Jury Selection

Hey guys,
We are blogging now! I love that word. So, my week. Went up to Espanola last Wednesday to interview the teacher of the CV Middle School class that hosted us all to watch the trailer and talk about Carlos. It was a very sweet time. Got to meet her dogs, discuss lots of different topics, and got the interview. After I left her, I took the still camera out to capture images of other items on my lots-of-scraps-of-paper-geesh-I-need-to-organize-these "to do" list. Had one of those times when you lose yourself gloriously in the moment of being exactly where you are and being led on. The kind of moment that Don has talked about being addicted to. You know, when you feel so grateful that all you had to do was be willing to go somewhere... and then things open up. Geesh, do I feel like a Santa Fean writing that. Another adventure yesterday. Had to go down to Albuquerque, and stopped in at Grandma's Sound and Music on Coors. Hint if you go down there, the store is nestled in a corner of a stripmall on the east side of Coors. I think maybe the only way to get there is to take the Paseo exit, exit right (south) onto Coors, go past the stripmall to the next traffic light (there is a Chevron station there), take a right and follow the road down behind the strip mall towards the Enterprise CarRental place. Grandma's is on your right. Really knowledgeable, helpful, non-condescending folks working there... and very generous 5+ days return policy. I bought a mike and a mike stand... that I can't quite believe I bought. Finally, I got a Jury Summons (my first ever) for 7/31. Yikes. I wrote a request for postponement until after 8/15 - but it was denied. I am not sure what that will mean. Certainly, it is a HUGE incentive to get things going sooner rather than later. Gathering with Andrea and Carlos's friends tomorrow... Hey... happy last day of work Deavours! Looking forward to hearing about Eagle Butte. Peace, Laurie
A couple final notes... watched "Southern Documentary" (a doc) - about a female-to-male transsexual living in rural Georgia and dying of ovarian cancer, and more so about his chosen family. Interesting, and for me what was really interesting was watching an interview with some of the participants in the film... who had risked their jobs, homes, physical safety to participate in the film... but who ended up traveling with the film to a large number of festivals and speaking... and loving it. They described the film as "our film." What a great tribute to the filmmaker.

1 comment:

photomamma63 said...

Hey Laurie!

Jury duty in NM is not that bad. Todd and I both had it last year. YOu ust have to go to the orientation and call in every Friday to see if you have to go in.I hope you are lucky like we were....neither of us had to go after the orientation!